Taurus: The Quiet One, Earth Spirit, Deep Thinker, Time-Taker, Deliberator Extraordinaire. This sign doesn't rush a thing. For The Bull, it's about cultivating peace in all its forms, whether it relates to finances, a literal homestead, or quieting the mind through the physical senses. So you can imagine that when the Winged Messenger moves through this very placid sign, he trades those wings in exchange for bare feet that are planted firmly on the ground. Mercury plays it safe in the land of Taurus; after all, he wants to be sure that his plans are thoroughly calculated and every option weighed so there's no question left as to the best ways to proceed. Will my choice produce solid results that last? Does this lead to long-term peace? Does it help me achieve the end result via the most straightforward approach possible? No frills, no bells and whistles - just common-sense approaches that get results.
And so with Mercury about to Station Retrograde in Taurus and Mars already having gone retrograde in Sagittarius, our currently slower-paced atmosphere is in for another serious slowdown - Mars has turned down the usual "GO" fires for heady inner contemplation and Mercury's on the verge of sprouting roots! If you're noticing that it's more difficult to articulate what's on your mind, or that the usual Mercury Rx delays end up being even more maddeningly slow than usual, you've found a likely answer. We enter a period of intensely introspective thought, of what might at times be excruciatingly slow deliberation processes - a time perfectly designed for assessing how we're doing in the area of physical life foundations.
Mercury in Taurus is well-attuned to thought processes that help us make smart decisions for a secure and comfortable existence. As Mercury goes retrograde, expect some hiccups or unfolding circumstances that have you re-evaluating all things related to well-being, money, and pleasure. Shifts in income or your foundations base are possible, as are contemplations as to the ways you'd experience the most fulfillment in receiving that income (read: career evaluation).
How's your savings account doing? If you want or need to strengthen your cache, what's the best approach to achieving that outcome? Is there something you want to build, or something you've already built that's in need of renovation? This is the perfect time to play "assessor" and take stock of what's in need of repairs, then put those plans into action when Mercury goes direct after May 23.
It's time to clear the dead roots and debris from the fields of your life, so to speak, so you can till the land and plant new seeds once your Mercury Rx learning is through.
Inner Wealth: Receiving Your Own Love & Approval
It could be said that the root of all imbalances related to health, wealth, and pleasure are innately connected to our self-worth and valuation. Taking time to notice how perceived "lack" connects with your sense of worthiness to receive is a great use of this retrograde cycle.
If you find yourself falling into a mindset of lack, remember that nature is endlessly abundant, always overflowing with a proliferation of life. When we remove blocks that stand in the way of our natural connection to Gaia and to receiving all forms of wealth ourselves, the abundance that flows is sure to be life-changing. The core component of abundance is a wealth of good feelings. If we can give ourselves that gift, material prosperity naturally follows!
And speaking of peace and pleasure, what is your relationship to "slow" like? Do you make time for quieting the mind and pampering your physical senses? How about spending time in nature? Foot massages, Earthing (walking barefoot in safe soil to connect with Earth's vibration), taking time out to enjoy a good meal - these are all practices that can do much to rewire our sense of tranquility and foster strong connections to our root.
Though things might transpire at a snail's pace for a while, there's no need to rush! This cycle is about learning to reap the rewards of a much slower pace of thinking and living. Enjoy homemade meals at the table with loved ones instead of rushing out the door with dinner in hand; skip the gym in favor of an outdoor workout; meditate and connect with the energy of trees or any other part of nature that resonates with you.
That being said, this could also be a time of evaluating where we tend to overindulge, or to get stuck in ruts of any kind. "Stubborn as a bull" most definitely applies! Issues could crop up where we're excessively spending, eating, lounging, or lazing at the expense of health and balance.
You'll find key dates and questions for contemplation for this Mercury Rx cycle below. May your retrograde be blessed and empowering, and flow as smoothly as possible!
- Mercury Stations Retrograde at 23 degrees Taurus: April 28
- Mercury Rx conjunct Sun, May 9: This aspect brings busy minds, an upswing in Mercurial (and Taurus-related) focus and activities. It also opens internal doorways that allow us to see things in a way that's less influenced by external forces. This allows us to think more independently and creatively, to explore viewpoints and solutions that could serve us much better than old ways of looking at things. This conjunction coincides with Jupiter's Station Direct and a Venus-Neptune sextile. Expect a boost in optimism, as well as sparks of creativity and heightened compassion.
- Mercury Rx trine Pluto Rx (2 of 3) May 12 & Mercury Rx conjunct Venus, 16 degrees Taurus, May 13: Deep contemplation of matters related to money or career; hidden truths that help you reconsider old viewpoints or previous actions may emerge. This aspect also speaks of the power of material wealth and the need to trust intuition. This aspect was first exact on April 17 and will wrap up on May 30 when Mercury is direct. Mercury Rx conjunct Venus puts even more emphasis on money, possessions, and sensuality; a time to revisit personal values or romantic scenarios. A good time to sort feelings related to pleasure, to commune with nature and art. May herald the beginnings of letting go of what no longer serves you in love and money.
- Mercury Station Direct at 14 degrees Taurus: May 22
**Mercury Rx Questions For Contemplation**
- Do I love and value myself? Am I willing to change the parts of my perceptions that might keep me from seeing the goodness within me and all that I am worthy of experiencing in life?
- Do I love and cherish my physical body and its unique form? Can I give in to healthy physical indulgences to help me feel nourished and refreshed (foot soaks, mindful food treats, time in nature, massages)?
- Do I allow myself to experience the sensual pleasures of my body? Do I allow myself to connect to the root of creative energies that wish to speak through me? Where can my personal sense of power flow more freely?
- Are there parts of life in which I overindulge my physical senses to my body's detriment? Do the roots of these choice patterns lie in fears of security that need to be addressed? In low self-esteem? Am I willing to restructure my thought patterns and reach out for healing help if necessary?
- Where am I choosing the comfortable or "known" path, the path of least resistance, in favor of necessary change and self-development? Where does stubbornness and attachment to the old and outworn keep me from evolving?
- Where do I need to remove the "dead wood" and debris from my life to allow for new growth? How can I restructure the whole of my life base to enjoy more peace and stability?
- Can I take time out to enjoy life's quiet moments and simple pleasures? Can I create practices that connect me with Earth energies and foster an appreciation of her gifts of abundance?